Astronomy for kids

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

raghujoshi

Astronomy for kids

Post by raghujoshi »

Hi,
I have a 10 year old son who is quite interested in Astronomy\Space science and keeps asking me a lot of very detailed questions for which I do not have answers. I was looking for a club or forum where he could meet with real astronomers and pose those questions. Can someone let me know of such clubs for kids in Minnesota? Does MAS have such kid outreach programs say monthly or regularly? Any info would help.
Thanks
Raghu
Sureshks

Re: Astronomy for kids

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Raghu,

We don’t have a kids program per se. But that might be an idea worth considering!

I think that the Beginners group (BSIG) is the closest thing. If you attend one of the upcoming sessions, your son can ask some questions afterwards.

Astronomical League Programs for beginners
Nancy Rauschenberg and Jerry Jones
Sat. Nov. 18th 10am - 12pm
Shoreview Public Library

These observing programs cater to all levels of amateur astronomers — from beginners to advanced... and with all levels of equipment, from sophisticated to none at all.

Imaging for Beginners
Dave Venne
Sat. Dec. 9th 2:30-4:30pm
Southdale Public Library

I hope you can attend one of these upcoming events. We’ll do our best to answer his questions.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Enberg

Re: Astronomy for kids

Post by Enberg »

We also have Public Observing Nights at our Eagle Lake Observatory. The last one for this season is on the evening of Nov. 11th. There are generally lots of kids with their families or with scout or school groups at these events. If the schedule works out, bring your son to Eagle Lake!
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas